Snapshots, Books, and the Countdown: Five, Four, Three

I feel like there's so much to say; like we haven't talked in ages. 

(1) Parenting

My six-year-old granddaughter draws a stick figure picture of herself running away from my son. In the picture he's counting down: Five, four, three, two, one. Bedtime. He posts that he has no recollection of doing this, counting down.

I remember it. He and his brother are six, their sister, four.
Me: Better be in bed at the count of one.
There's a thrill to this intervention, despite the total lack of consequences.

The magic of counting down to bedtime is that it is a competition. Can I beat the parent? Can I make it to bed before he says, One?

And a kid needs a good reason to run, not walk to bed, because running is fun and walking is not, and it is much more fun jumping into a bed, feeling the fluffy pillows and covers receive you.

Probably the best reason for the countdown, however, at least from the kid's perspective, and maybe my son knows it, maybe he doesn't, is that the parent is going to slowly follow you to the bedroom, making this feel dangerous if you lose, and as soon as he catches up, as you dive into bed one step ahead, he'll snuggle his much larger face into your hair, and then your neck, and say,

"I love you. Now go to sleep."

(2) The Stinking Flu  


The primary care docs are compelled to prescribe the flu vaccine, and why not, it is cheap and sometimes effective. When it isn't effective, that's when everyone is up in arms, or shall we say, dead to the world, useless in bed.

My brain on the flu:


Popular posts from this blog

Mothers Day is in May, Mental Health Awareness Month

1001 Ways to Live Wild

Starbucks Diversity Training and other Important Matters